DISCLAIMER: I am not a crazy cat lady. I simply like cats as a species and enjoy being in their company. This blog post does not define my sanity by any means.
When I read the blog post "Cat With a Blog: Why are Cats so Cute?" I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. I am so thankful to know that somebody else my age likes cats as much as I do. In today's society, it seems as though there are less cat people and more dog people. I cannot tell you how many times I have been criticized for liking cats more than dogs. One thing I have noticed is that cat people usually have a liking for dogs as well, but a lot of dog people absolutely cannot stand cats. It's very strange how these dog lovers ridicule others who simply have a different favorite animal than them.
When I read the blog post "Cat With a Blog: Why are Cats so Cute?" I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. I am so thankful to know that somebody else my age likes cats as much as I do. In today's society, it seems as though there are less cat people and more dog people. I cannot tell you how many times I have been criticized for liking cats more than dogs. One thing I have noticed is that cat people usually have a liking for dogs as well, but a lot of dog people absolutely cannot stand cats. It's very strange how these dog lovers ridicule others who simply have a different favorite animal than them.
Personally, I think cats have many qualities that make them amazing. First off, cats have the softest fur. There is something therapeutic about petting a cat, as I notice that it always calms me down whenever I am stressed. Also, cats (for the most part) are very cuddly. Cats are typically stereotyped as being very independent and, therefore, dislike any form of attention. While this may be true for some cats, it is definitely not true for all. Most of the cats I have encountered have been very friendly and wouldn't leave my side. This is why it is important to not stereotype cats as a species. Many people assume that all cats are mean and don't want anything to do with humans. However, there are many cats out there who can also possess the title of "man's best friend."
The hardest part of living on campus is definitely being away from my family, but especially my cat. Even though I only live 45 minutes away, I still cannot stand not seeing him all the time. My life feels incomplete without being able to pet him, play with him, or sleep next to him every night. I definitely think that my life would be much less stressful if we were allowed to have a pet in our dorms. Sure, UHart allows us to have fish, but that in no way satisfies my craving for cuddling with an animal. If I had a cat in my dorm room, I would definitely be a much happier college student. I totally understand why the university has this policy, but there is still a part of me that wishes that UHart would reconsider for the sake of the sanity of many students living on campus.
The hardest part of living on campus is definitely being away from my family, but especially my cat. Even though I only live 45 minutes away, I still cannot stand not seeing him all the time. My life feels incomplete without being able to pet him, play with him, or sleep next to him every night. I definitely think that my life would be much less stressful if we were allowed to have a pet in our dorms. Sure, UHart allows us to have fish, but that in no way satisfies my craving for cuddling with an animal. If I had a cat in my dorm room, I would definitely be a much happier college student. I totally understand why the university has this policy, but there is still a part of me that wishes that UHart would reconsider for the sake of the sanity of many students living on campus.
The blog also talks about how cats have the ability to mimic the behaviors of babies. Humans are automatically attracted to babies, as they are cute and need constant attention. Cats tend to resemble many of these qualities, such as when they purr or rub up against you. Essentially, cats are babies that live for 12-18 years. The idea of being around an animal who acts like a child 24/7 is something that I think a lot of people crave. This is part of the reason why I don't understand how people don't like cats at all. Sure, some cats are mean, but most cats are actually really friendly. I think some people just need to get used to the idea that some cats just simply want to be independent, and that's okay.
Today, I believe that any girl who says they like cats is automatically labeled as a "crazy cat lady." There have been so many instances where I have had people tell me that, because of my love for cats, I will grow up to be husband-less, living in a house filled with 20+ cats. I believe this stereotype on cat people is very unfair. Cats may be my favorite animal, but that does not mean that I am a lonely, anti-social person. I love the independence of cats because I am an independent person. I love the fact that cats are easy to take care of. I love how relaxing it is to pet and cuddle with a cat. These opinions don't make me "crazy." In fact, I think these opinions are 100% normal.
Abby's blog post reassured me that there are other people who feel the same way about this topic as I do. Cats are often stereotyped by the general public, and I think it's time people start to be more open minded about the species. Even though cats are more independent than other animals, they still have ways of showing their affection to humans. Just like you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, you shouldn't judge a species by its stereotypes.
Link to the blog this is responding to: http://abbypollock.blogspot.com/
Link to the blog this is responding to: http://abbypollock.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment